It’s about that time of year when the zucchini is going wild in the garden. We received two large squash in our weekly CSA and then graciously accepted the donation of another squash from our neighbors bountiful urban garden [I’m hoping to feature them + their garden in a post soon!]. Wanting to do something new with the squash, I decided to jazz up a pretty standard [but delicious!] recipe for regular zucchini bread/muffins and make them paleo-friendly so that The Husband could enjoy them throughout the week for breakfast.
These definitely have a different texture thanks to the gluten-free/paleo-friendly almond and coconut flours I used, but despite that they turned out pretty moist + chock full of sweet-tart dried cherries, sweet chocolate chips and spicy candied ginger.
Paleo-Friendly Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins
[loosely adapted from The Paleo Mom]
Yield : 22 regular muffins Prep Time : 25 minutes Bake Time : 30 minutes
3 cups zucchini, grated
4 large or jumbo eggs [I had teeny-tiny farm fresh eggs from our CSA, so I had to up it to 6 eggs]
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP melted coconut oil
1/2 cup raw honey [we love TruBee Honey at Casa Sweet Betweens]
1 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup candied ginger [my pieces were already quite small, so if you pick up a box from the grocery store, you might want to dice the pieces finer – depends on your palate!]
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
1/2 cup carob powder [can sub cocoa powder]
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin tins, if necessary [I just baked mine in liners].
2. In a small bowl combine flours, spices, baking soda, salt, cherries, ginger and chocolate chips. Whisk until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
3. In a large bowl, mix grated zucchini, honey, eggs and melted coconut oil.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined [do not overmix].
5. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, so they fill up 3/4 of each well.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, and enjoy!