*Hi Eat, Live, Run readers! Thanks for coming by to check out my blog. I’ll be posting the rest of the recipes from the treats Jenna had in Birmingham this week and next, so I hope you’ll be back to check them out!*
It’s October! This means that if we’re not obsessing about pumpkin, we’re obsessing about chai. I decided to combine both of these favorite flavors of mine in one sweet + spicy treat – a chai spiced dense and chewy pumpkin-based cookie topped with a seasonal Hershey’s Pumpkin Spice Kiss.
I loved this cookie – especially straight out of the refrigerator – but already want to bake them again and add some pink peppercorn or white pepper in the mix and amp up that spicy side of chai.
PS – it’s Annie of Tennessee Sugar‘s birthday today. Head over to her blog with some happy wishes or send her a tweet [she’s @TennesseeSugar on twitter]. She LOVES pumpkin [check out her Luscious Layered Pumpkin Cake!] so I thought I’d post these in her honor. So, happy day Annie! Hope it’s a SPECTACULAR one!
Chai Spice Pumpkin Kiss Cookies
Prep : 20 minutes + 1 hour chill time Bake : 12-15 minutes Yield : 22-24 cookies
1 stick // 8 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated cane sugar
1/4 cup pumpkin puree [canned – if fresh, strain so excess liquid is removed]
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
22-24 Pumpkin Spice Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
for rolling: 6 TBSP granulated cane sugar + 1 TBSP ground cinnamon + 2 tsp ground cardamom + 1/2 tsp ground cloves + 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl until well combined.
2. Cream butter and sugar in bowl of stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
3. Add flour mixture in thirds, mixing until just incorporated and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary each time.
4. Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 325 F.
6. Mix cane sugar + spices [for rolling] in a small bowl.
7. Using a small [approx. 1 1/2″] cookie scoop, place dough into sugar + spice mixture, rolling to ensure even coverage. Place dough balls on lined cookie sheet about 2″ apart.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating pans about halfway through.
9. Remove cookies from the oven and place Pumpkin Spice Hershey’s Kisses in the center of each cookie right away. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on cookie sheets before moving to wire racks to finish cooling completely.
*Cookies will remain fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days. If they last uneaten in your household that long, that is!